Make healthy, nutritious pizza bites in 15 minutes using only five ingredients!
Jason and I had a late-night pizza as “post-vacation recovery” food. When I woke up, I was bloated and nauseated all day. I know that I do not have the metabolism of an 18-year-old, but I don’t feel like I can go out for late-night pizza runs anymore!
When I got another pizza craving two days later, I decided to make these 5-ingredient Zucchini Pizza Bites instead. I was in for an amazing treat.
I didn’t really know what to expect when using a round of zucchini as a base for a pizza. Carbs (and pizza crust carbs, in particular) and I have a love-hate relationship. Little did I realize that these zucchini rounds were a great substitute for those calories.
These zucchini rounds are great for portion control and make fun finger food to share. If you are watching your calories, a little cheese goes a long way. The mini pepperonis add to the fun!
- Olive oil one tablespoon
- Three zucchinis, each cut into rounds of 1/4 inch thickness
- To taste, add Kosher Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1/3 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup finely grated mozzarella
- 1/4 cup pepperoni minis
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat oven to broil.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add the zucchini and cook it, flipping each side once, for about 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the zucchini rounds on a large baking tray. Top each game of zucchini with mini pepperoni, mozzarella, and marinara.
- Place in the oven and bake until cheese is melted. This should take about 1-2 mins.
- Sprinkle with Italian seasoning if you wish.